Show Your Work! by Austin Kleon
Austin Kleon’s book Show Your Work! inspired me to create suasponte and share how I work. In his book, Kleon argues that the best way to promote what you do is to share how you work, from beginning to end. People are interested not just in the outcome but also the process.
Kleon provides 10 ways to help you share your work and get discovered.
- You don’t have to be a genius. Beginners can help other beginners. A “scenius” is a “whole scene of people supporting each other, looking at each other’s work, copying from each other, stealing ideas, and contributing ideas.” Share your processes, successes and failures to help others.
- Process, not product. The finished product is not as important as the process. Today, others are more interested in seeing how the sausage gets made. Document every phase of how you work.
- Share something small everyday. Try to post something to a blog, Twitter or YouTube every day. Make it a daily habit.
- Share other people’s work and credit them.
- Tell good stories.
- Teach what you know.
- Don’t turn into human spam. "Whatever excites you, go do it. Whatever drains you, stop doing it.” Derek Sivers
- Learn to take a punch. In other words, don’t fear criticism.
- Sell out. It’s okay to make money off your work. It doesn’t corrupt creativity.
- Don’t quit. Stay creative and keep moving forward.
This is an easy and fun book to read. It will give you ideas that might spark some creativity in you. Who knows you may be sharing ideas and knowledge with others and making new connections before you know it.